In stark contrast to much of the rest of the world, China’s economy has recovered remarkably well from Covid-19. Driven by a public and household sector debt fueled surge in spending, the country is on track to end 2020 with positive economic growth. But is this growth sustainable? To answer this question and to discuss opportunities for investors, our guest this week is Alicia García-Herrero.
- Is China's debt sustainability a source of concern?
- What are expectations for China's long-tern growth?
- Is there a dissonance between China's key objectives?
- Should investors expect increased exchange rate variability?
- Do recent defaults in SOE's imply government policy action, or are they entirely a local government issue?
- Will recent changes in the onshore bond market lead to a stronger bond market over the long-term?